About the role:
With support and mentoring from our Marine Technical Manager and Mobile Plant Fitter, the successful applicant will work on a wide range of plant, machinery in addition to our marine vessels to build a wide range of engineering skills.
- Keen to learn practical skills and qualifications in order to progress.
- Takes instruction well, paying particular attention to health and safety regulations.
- Happy to take part in internal and external training. Travelling to external training facilities may be necessary in due course.
- Confident, professional manner.
- Strong organisational skills with good written and verbal communication skills.
- The ability to think ahead and regularly cope with new/unexpected circumstances.
- Providing assistance to ensure all assigned vessels, plant and machinery are maintained up to company standards and are compliant with all necessary legislation.
- Assisting with regular vessel, plant and machinery inspections
- Report to the Marine Technical Manager any defects present on any of the company vessels and maintain the 6 weekly inspection records.
- Report to the Mobile Plant Fitter any defects present on any of the company plant and machinery.
- Assisting with the participation of the dry-dock planning schedule and any work which can be done by our own teams during dry dockings.
- Assisting with monitoring and ensuring compliance with statutory, class and other third-party requirements.
- Carry out basic training on minor repairs and defects with vessel crew and other Marine Engineering staff.
- Ensure vessel defects are appropriately categorised with timescales in place for rectification.
- Ensure that housekeeping standards are maintained within the Kishorn workshop and assisting to ensure that stock levels are maintained.
- Ensure all work is recorded accurately and signed off accordingly by line managers.
- Attend external training as part of a formal apprenticeship, ensure that you conduct yourself in a business like and professional manner at all times, representing the company whilst away from business sites.
Benefits of being an employee with Ferguson Transport & Shipping:
- Competitive rates of pay + overtime rates for weekend working
- Flexible holidays – 28 days paid leave per annum (pro-rata), enhanced with service
- Aggregated holiday pay
- Loyalty payment scheme
- Employer Contributory Pension Scheme
- Occupational health surveillance
- Group life assurance
- Employee assistance programme
- Training & support from day one and throughout your career with the Company